top of page

Want to become an Early Childhood Educator?

Everything you need to know about initial and ongoing requirements to teach in ECE in Marin County

*everything that is underlined and bold is a clickable link

*If you are a new Family Childcare (FCC) provider looking into applying for a license please click here.


From ECE classes to completion of
a Degree or Credential 

Completing a minimum of 12 units of Early Childhood Education (ECE) courses can build a starting foundation for the care of children, 0-8 years old. For classroom programs, these 12 units are required. 

The required ECE classes are;

1) Child Development,

2) Child/Family/ Community,

3) Principles and Practices and

4) Curriculum. 

For educators who work with infants and toddlers, an additional 3 units in Infant/Toddler development or care will be required as well. 

Here are some colleges to consider for your education journey: 

College of Marin 

Santa Rosa JC

Contra Costa College 

EdVance College

Sonoma State University

Pacific Oaks College

UC Riverside (courses in Spanish)

*Please note when looking for "ECE" classes they may also be listed as Education or Child Development courses depending on the college. 

Another stop on your professional journey might be to apply for a permit issued by the CA Department of Education. Depending on the program you are employed with, this may be a requirement for your   position and your employer can assist you in starting the process.  

             Click here to learn more about  permits. 

   Click here  for a Teacher Consortium stipend

to help pay for the cost of the permit.


For Child Development Permit support contact MCOE staff:

Tanya at

or Iris at

Health & Safety requirements

Maintaining the health and safety of our children is a primary responsibility for our caring field. Therefore educators have health screening and training requirements to ensure childcare environments are safe.

  • Health/ Safety training ($)- Required for one person in each classroom and for every FCC provider before opening. Click here for a list of agencies that provide training.  

  • Mandated Reporting (free)At the start of hire and then required to re-certify every two years thereafter. Click here

  • Fingerprinting ($)- A fingerprint clearance is required before any educator can begin to work with children. It starts with a request by your employer (or by licensing for FCC) and you will need to use the specific form given to you. Depending on when or where you last were fingerprinted, you may be eligible for a fingerprint transfer. 

      Educators have options to complete fingerprinting             

      anywhere a "livescan" fingerprinting service is offered.

      Click here to find a location



  • Licensing (CCLD), Operation and Recordkeeping Orientation (small fee)- Required for center directors. Online orientation is available here.

  • Integrated Pest Management Training (free)- For centers only, complete training annually. Click here


  • Licensing (CCLD), Family Child Care Home Orientation ($)- Online orientation is available here.


PD baby.jpg

Ongoing Professional Development

The field of ECE is continually growing and improving in support of quality care of our youngest children. Whether you are looking for training for your professional growth or to maintain hours to update your CA Permit/ CDA credential, you can click here to find local and online opportunities. 

*Professional development hours are tracked through

Create an account, and save the password and CA registry number in a safe place (you will need your CA Registry number to register for many of these trainings). If you need help you may stop in the R&R office Monday-Friday, 9am-3pm. 

bottom of page